This Deconstructed Sushi Bowl is savoury, healthy, quick, easy, and perfect for a different kind of mid-week meal when you don’t want to sacrifice your diet but also don’t want to spend ages in the kitchen. I came up with this recipe spur of the moment, on a random Tuesday night, and I am so glad I did because it has joined my répertoire of simple and fast healthy meals that taste beautiful. This recipe serves two, so adjust accordingly if needed. From start to finish, this meal will be totally done in 45 minutes or less.
This recipe is also totally and naturally vegan, gluten-free and technically suitable for a low-carb, Keto diet depending on how much rice you have. This will obviously be a hit with those that love sushi, especially if you allow it to cool before serving – although I like it hot! This meal is basically sushi in a bowl, rather than neat little rolls. Hence the recipe name! I also opted to use a healthy oil choice and a set vegetable list that are often found in vegetarian/vegan sushi recipes, but as always feel free to play around and add your own touch. As this is a rice-based dish, make sure you eat it as fresh as possible. It unfortunately cannot be frozen, as it will not turn out well. But as it is so easy and low-maintenance to make, that shouldn’t bother you too much!
> Mushrooms of Choice (I use Chestnut), thinly sliced.
> 2-4 Spring Onions, diced.
> 3-4 Radishes, diced.
> Handful of Nori (Alternatively you can use rocket or spinach, but nori is best for that authentic sushi flavour), cut finely.
> Cucumber, diced small, as much as you like.
> Two Servings of Rice of Choice (I used Brown Rice).
> 3 TBSP Tamari Sauce.
> 500ml Vegetable Stock.
> 100-200ml Plant Milk (I used Soya Milk).
> 1 TBSP Lemon Juice.
> 2-3 Garlic Cloves, crushed or chopped tiny.
> 1/2 TSP Cumin Seeds.
> 1/2 TSP Cayenne Chilli Powder (or an alternative chilli powder).
> 1 TSP Ground Black Pepper.
> 1 TSP Parsley.
> 1 TSP Turmeric.
> 2 TSP Smoked Paprika.
> 2-3 TBSP Olive Oil.
1) In a wok, saute the vegetables well, along with the olive oil and garlic, over a medium heat on the hob.
2) When the vegetables are done to your taste (I like mine very well done), add in the paprika, chilli powder, cumin seeds, turmeric, parsley, and ground black pepper. Also add the rice in and cook on for one minute, stirring often to prevent the rice from sticking.
3) Add the vegetable stock, tamari/soy sauce, lemon juice and plant milk. Give it a good initial stir, and allow the mixture to come to the boil.
4) When the mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat so it can simmer instead. Then, leave to cook on for around 30 minutes. Stir regularly. By the end of the half-hour, all the liquid but-for a light trace should have been soaked up. If not, increase the heat and leave for a further 10 minutes.
5) Serve into bowls and enjoy!
If you like the look of this Deconstructed Sushi Bowl, please drop this post a like and share! Your support is always appreciated. And if you do want vegan and gluten-free recipes delivered to your inbox, as well as travel and lifestyle content beyond that, then please subscribe and join our community! Also, please feel free to share your takes on this recipe with me, either in the comment section here or over on Instagram at @theeleuther. Happy Wednesday!